Carlier, Alfred



Person (Male)

Alternative name or descriptor

  • Carlier Frères<02> (in Rue du Curé Notre-Dame); Phono-Photo<06> (in Rue du Curé Notre-Dame and later in Péruwelz); Garden-Photo (in Avenue du Maire)

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules


  • Professional / Connected


Life dates

Tournai, 1879 - ?, 1956


1901 * - 1914 > Tournai, Rue du Curé Notre-Dame, 12
Predecessors: Gliot Emile; Carlier - Nys, Georgine Cécile
Alfred Georges, ° 13.3.1879. Also supplies for photographers. Sold and repaired phonographs. Alfred initially operated by January 1902 as "Carlier Frères", possibly in partnership with his younger brother Louis Carlier (see separate entry). At some point his mother Georgine Cécile Carlier - Nys (see that name) transferred the photographic supplies department of her chemicals business in rue du Bourdon Saint-Jacques over to her son at this address. Initial "A." at Rue du Bourbon Saint-Jacques, 20 in the 1902 Mendel directory. In 1905 Carlier announced that he "possessed the negatives taken over a period of 40 years by the photographers Brackelaire, Froment, Hannet, Steinier [sic, for Stainier], Leyniers, Cliot [sic, for Gliot]" (Courrier de l'Escaut, 21.9.1905).
Publisher of picture postcards from 1905 onwards. He transformed the studio's frontage in April 1906 and introduced the trade name "Phono-Photo". Listed also as a photographic supplier in directories from 1910 onwards. Carlier announced in 1913 that he had acquired the negatives taken by the Colbert - Van de Cruys studio. Sold negative views to the German administration during World War I, exploiting the large stock built up by his predecessors, as documented at the Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage (KIK-IRPA) in Brussels. Carlier remained active throughout the interwar period, trading as "Garden-Photo" at Avenue de Maire, 168. The studio and its contents were destroyed during the bombardment of Tournai in May 1940.
1907 > Tournai, Avenue du Maire, 168
Main address in the interwar period.
1908 * - 1909 / Péruwelz, Rue du Moulin, 7
Traded as "Phono-Photo" under the management of younger brother Louis Carlier. Advertising at this address until January 1909.
1909 * - 1911 Péruwelz, Grand'Place, 31
Traded as "Phono-Photo", still under the management of Louis Carlier, who moved here on 13.1.1909. Advertising at this address from February 1909 to January 1911.


1901 * - 1914 > Tournai, Rue du Curé Notre-Dame, 12
1907 > Tournai, Avenue du Maire, 168
1908 * - 1909 / Péruwelz, Rue du Moulin, 7
1909 * - 1911 Péruwelz, Grand'Place, 31


Genres / subject matter



RIGAUT, Eric. "Alfred Carlier", Photographes tournaisiens du 19e siècle, accessed on 1.5.2020 at:




Record source



Level of detail

Dates of creation/revision

SFJ revised 8.7.2017 & 29.4.2018; SFJ revised 20.1.2019 & 1.5.2020 based on information supplied by M. Demaeght; MCC revised 1.5.2020; MD revised 2.6.2020 & 2.9.2020; SFJ revised 9.9.2020 based on information supplied by M. Demaeght; SFJ revised 12.8.2023; SFJ revised 8.3.2024 based on information published by Bernard Desmaele & Éric Rigaut




Maintenance notes