Cercle d'études photographiques et scientifiques d'Anvers (CEPSA)

Identity

Category

Collective

Alternative name or descriptor

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Status

  • Group

Details

Life dates

Activity

1895 * - 1914 Anvers, Place Verte, 2
Founded on 8.7.1895; Jules Bouvart, founding president. Organised public slide shows in various neighbourhoods around Antwerp. The equipment was lent by Louis Van Neck (La Métropole, 11.7.1898). Meetings held in Grand Café, avenue de Keyser in 1896; Café de l'Empereur, Meir from 14.11.1898; Café Suisse, Place Verte, 2 from January 1900. First exhibition (with catalogue) in 1903, the same year that Jules Sano was elected president. In 1904, President: Sano; Secretary: Strybol. 68 members. Recorded as having 75 to 80 active members in 1908. One of the few local clubs to survive the first world war, it received a royal warrant in 1920; henceforward, as the "Cercle royal", it was known by the acronym CREPSA.

Locations

1895 * - 1914 Anvers, Place Verte, 2

Exhibitions

Amsterdam, 1902 ("Photographische Kring, Antwerpen").

Genres / subject matter

Techniques

Bibliography/Webography

Context

Affiliations

Management

Record source

DIRECTORY_1997#635

Identity of institution

FotoMuseum Provincie Antwerpen

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation/revision

SFJ revised 14.11.2017, 14.2.2018 & 27.9.2018 based on information supplied by Pool Andries; SFJ revised 3.1.2019.& 27.2.2019

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

Actions