Comptoir (Général) de Photographie

Identity

Category

Firm

Alternative name or descriptor

  • Comptoir photographique

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Status

  • Connected

Details

Life dates

Activity

1888 - 1914 Gand, Rue de Flandre, 9
Multi-branch firm dealing in photographic supplies. Managed and owned at several locations by different people and with complex succession paths. "Firm founded in 1883". Perhaps trading at this address before 1888. Alexandre Wild (see that name) was living at this address according to the 1880-1890 population register and was likely involved with the firm in about 1890. Managed in 1890 by a certain Deschrijver in partnership with Polydore Wauters (see that name). By 1894, Wauters was listed alone as the owner. While Wauters remained in charge, this branch seems to have been operated by Albert Gevaert (see that name) from 1892 till 1894 and by Raymond Lambricx (see that name) from 1895 possibly until about 1903. In 1898-1899 Alfred Herremans (see that name) was listed at this address and an order of glass plates by the firm, dated 9.2.1898, is signed by him. Another document with letterhead "Comptoir Général de Photographie" at this address and Blankenberge, dated 14.9.1900, is signed "A. Deplancke".
In July 1901 the branch became a part of the Wauters & Masquelier imperium (see that name). Subsequently, by the end of 1904, the ownership had passed to Julien De Clercq (see that name). See also Alfred Herremans. Manufacturer and supplier of optical instruments and cameras. All kinds of photographic supplies: cameras, lenses, papers, card mounts, plates, and all brands of chemicals. Specialised in cameras and photographic supplies suitable for the tropics: "Request our colonial catalogue with instructions" (La Tribune congolaise et La Gazette ouest-africaine, 6.8.1914). The firm was still trading in 1933 at Limburgstraat 14.
1895 - 1904 Blankenberghe, Rue de l'Eglise, 31
"Photographic supplies. Oxygen" (Le Petit Bleu du Matin, 7.9.1895). Coexisted at this address with the portrait studio of "Photographie Viennoise [Blankenberge]" (see entry) which seems to have traded subsequently as an independent entity while maintaining its role as an outlet for supplies from "Comptoir Général de Photographie" in Ghent. Owned by Polydore Wauters and from July 1901 onwards by Wauters & Masquelier.
1901 * - 1914 > Anvers, Chaussée de Malines, 32
Owned by Wauters & Masquelier (see that name) and subsequently from January 1901 by Alphonse Masquelier alone.
1901 * - 1913 Ostende, Rampe Ouest du Kursaal, 4<04>
Owned by Wauters & Masquelier.
1905 - 1906 Bruxelles, Rue de l'Ecuyer, 50
Owned by Wauters & Masquelier and managed by Arthur Vandevelde.
1907 - 1908 Blankenberghe, Rue Haute
Owned by Wauters & Masquelier.
1908 * - 1914 Bruges, Rue Sud du Sablon, 13<08-10>
Successor: Vercauteren François
Opening advertised in November 1908 (Brugsch Handelsblad, 21.11.1908). Manager François Vercauteren, but owned by Julien De Clercq. "Comptoir Photographique Julien Declercq". "The souvenir album for the inauguration of the ports of Bruges [= Zeebrugge], on the initiative of Mr François Vercauteren, the Bruges manager of "Comptoir Photographique [Julien] Declercq", will be the most splendid and the most precious seasonal gift book" (La Patrie, 19.12.1908). The work contained 260 photographs, views, reportages and portraits, printed in collotype on the presses of Maurice Herreboudt (see that name); the title page bears the double credit "Photographs by the Comptoir Photographique Bruges, Julien De Clercq, Ghent. By April 1912, François Vercauteren was advertising as De Clercq's successor at this address (Brugsch Handelsblad, 13.4.1912). Vercauteren was still using the name "Comptoir Général de Photographie" in November 1913 (Brugsch Handelsblad, 29.11.1913).
1911 - 1914 Gand, Rue Basse des Champs, 27 [Nederkouter]
Coexisted with Rue de Flandre, 9 and was owned by Julien De Clercq.

Locations

1888 - 1914 Gand, Rue de Flandre, 9
1895 - 1904 Blankenberghe, Rue de l'Eglise, 31
1901 * - 1914 > Anvers, Chaussée de Malines, 32
1901 * - 1913 Ostende, Rampe Ouest du Kursaal, 4<04>
1905 - 1906 Bruxelles, Rue de l'Ecuyer, 50
1907 - 1908 Blankenberghe, Rue Haute
1908 * - 1914 Bruges, Rue Sud du Sablon, 13<08-10>
1911 - 1914 Gand, Rue Basse des Champs, 27 [Nederkouter]

Exhibitions

Antwerp (CEPSA), 1903.

Genres / subject matter

Techniques

Bibliography/Webography

Context

Affiliations

Management

Record source

DIRECTORY_1997#792

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation/revision

SFJ revised 29.12.2017 & 6.6.2019; SFJ revised 7.9.2020, 23.4.2021 & 13.12.2021 based on information supplied by M. Demaeght; SFJ revised 10.9.2020 & 21.12.2020; SFJ revised 15.3.2022 based on information supplied by M. Demaeght; MD revised 2.9.2020, 3.5.2021, 22.10.2021, 23.11.2021, 6.12.2021, 9.6.2022, 10.6.2022, 20.7.2022, 4.8.2022, 9.9.2022 & 6.12.2022

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

Actions