Gytier, Guillaume



Person (Male)

Alternative name or descriptor

  • Au Buffet d'Or<73>

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules


  • Connected then Professional


Life dates

Ghent, 1819 - Brussels, 1901


1858 - 1875 Tournai, Rue de Paris, 9
° 11.2.1819; + 23.11.1901. Picture framer and glazier at this address since 1854 ("Gytier - Vion"), an occupation he maintained throughout his time as owner of the photography studio. He exhibited photographs by the Parisian itinerant Ferdinand Lejeune in 1858 and sold stereoscopes and stereo views "from 12 to 30 francs a dozen" (Le Courrier de l'Escaut, 11.3.1858).
Studio initially launched in August 1862 as "Gytier frères" described as "pupils of Mr Harlingue, decorated by H.M. King Leopold, operator with Messrs Ghémar Frères" (Le Courrier de l'Escaut, 31.8.1862), then "Gytier Père & Fils" in late 1862 and 1863. "Gytier Père & Fils have the honour of announcing that following numerous requests for portraits, they have just recruited to their establishment Mr Meyer of Berlin, photographer to His Highness the Duke of Harsfeld" (Le Courrier de l'Escaut, 25.12.1862).
In 1863, Gytier briefly set up branch studios in Ath and Leuze. From October 1863, Gytier operated exclusively under his own name with an operator from Paris (Le Courrier de l'Escaut, 18.10.1863) and subsequently César Moens (see that name), an operator with Mayer & Pierson in Paris (Le Courrier de l'Escaut, 30.6.1867). Prosper Deloeul (see that name) was the operator here in 1869. "Frames, cutting of panes, bottles, etc. Portraits made post-mortem, copy prints of all kinds, groups".
In 1873, the studio went under the name "Au Buffet d'Or". "Miscellaneous objects and plaster statues". Gytier offered a free portrait for every purchase of 25 francs in the shop. Gytier, widowed in 1873, remarried in 1874 and briefly operated in collaboration with his son-in-law Louis Aimable Pennequin, "painter and glazier", before closing the studio. Gytier continued in business in Tournai until 1885 when he moved to Brussels. He was recorded as a porcelain maker in September 1900.
1863 Leuze, "next to the Church"


1858 - 1875 Tournai, Rue de Paris, 9
1863 Leuze, "next to the Church"


Genres / subject matter



RIGAUT, Eric. Photographes tournaisiens du 19e siècle, "Guillaume Gytier", accessed 16.5.2020 at:




Record source



Level of detail

Dates of creation/revision

SFJ revised 25.5.2017 & 15.5.2020; SFJ revised 15.6.2020, 2.8.2020 & 24.10.2020 based on information supplied by M. Demaeght; SFJ revised 8.3.2024 based on information published by Bernard Desmaele & Éric Rigaut




Maintenance notes