Kirsch, Joseph (Fils)

Identity

Category

Person (Male)

Alternative name or descriptor

  • Photographie Artistique et Industrielle (in Rue de la Cathédrale)

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Status

  • Professional / Connected

Details

Life dates

Liège, 1837 - ?, ?

Activity

1862 ca - 1880 Liège, Passage Lemonnier, 30<63-68>, 32<69-70> or 30-32
Predecessor: Kirsch Pierre Joseph
Lithographer and bookbinder, then photographer, "Joseph Fils" was the son of Pierre Joseph. In the de Bruyne directory, "Kirsch Joseph Fils" is only listed until 1875, subsequently no first name, then "J." in 1880. The Tarlier directory lists "P. Kirsch" from 1868 until 1875 at Passage Lemonnier, and the Rozez directory "P." in 1878.
"Portraits from the smallest up to life size, monochrome and painted in oils, photo-miniature, groups and horsemen, post-mortem portraits, portraits taken at home, views, landscapes, plans, and machines. Portrait studio at ground level. All the views of Liège for sale in various sizes. Framing" [De Bruyne, 1869]. At an unspecified date at no. 32 a studio operated under the trade name "Photographie de l'Univers".
Active as an architectural photographer from 1869 to 1888, Kirsch compiled a systematic iconographic survey of Liège and its monuments, historic neighbourhoods and urban development. The "Musée de la Vie Wallonne" possesses a collection of 273 prints, bound in four volumes.
1881 - 1885 Liège, Place Saint-Paul, 6
Successor: Meyers & Hautvast #
"J." in the directory. According to the "Musée de la Vie Wallonne", he was a son of "Joseph Fils". "Photographic, typographic and chromo-lithographic establishment. Stationery and office supplies. Mechanical presses. Artistic and industrial photography; all kinds of portraits. Collotype" [De Bruyne, 1884].
1886 - 1894 Liège, Rue de la Cathédrale, 75<86-91> or 77<93>
Predecessor: Silverberg A. # Successor: Schuttringer Richard #
On CV, "Printer, lithographer, photographer". A relative continued to run the studio under the name "Kirsch", Rue des Clarisses from 1894 onwards.

Locations

1862 ca - 1880 Liège, Passage Lemonnier, 30<63-68>, 32<69-70> or 30-32
1881 - 1885 Liège, Place Saint-Paul, 6
1886 - 1894 Liège, Rue de la Cathédrale, 75<86-91> or 77<93>

Exhibitions

Genres / subject matter

Techniques

Bibliography/Webography

Context

Affiliations

Management

Record source

DIRECTORY_1997#2456

Identity of institution

FotoMuseum Provincie Antwerpen

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation/revision

SFJ revised 23.4.2018 & 12.5.2019 based on information supplied by M. Demaeght

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

Actions