Photo-Club liégeois

Identity

Category

Collective

Alternative name or descriptor

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Status

  • Group

Details

Life dates

Activity

1909 * - 1914 Liège, Place Saint-Jean, 22 (Institut de garçons communal)
Founded on 10.10.1909 at a meeting attended by over 70 persons. Founding committee: president: Maxime Kirsch; vice-president: Georges Du Soleil; secretary: Joseph Wyn; deputy secretary: Charles de Neef; treasurer: Léon Lenoir; librarian and head of laboratory: Joseph Closson; commissioners: Alfred Gignez, Fernand Thiernesse, Auguste Warrem. The club was established "with the purpose of mutual instruction, popularisation and recreation, to enable its members to enlarge their theoretical and practical knowledge, and to develop in the art of photography." The club's premises were made available by the communal administration of Liège and weekly meetings were held on Wednesdays. "Members enjoy a 10% discount at several dealers on all their photographic supplies" (La Meuse, 24.3.1910).
Secretary (1913-1914): Alphonse Lens. Reported having 150 members in March 1910 and nearly 200 members in March 1914. Published a monthly magazine "Le Photographe Mosan" that appeared from June 1910 to August 1914. Public lantern-slide presentations held in the academic hall of the University of Liège on 9.12.1913 and 9.3.1914 each attracted work by around 20 members of the club.

Locations

1909 * - 1914 Liège, Place Saint-Jean, 22 (Institut de garçons communal)

Exhibitions

Genres / subject matter

Techniques

Bibliography/Webography

Context

Affiliations

Management

Record source

DIRECTORY_2017#1088

Identity of institution

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation/revision

SFJ new 4.1.2019; SFJ revised 10.6.2020, 6.7.2020 & 19.7.2020 based on information supplied by M. Demaeght; MD revised 20.10.2020

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

Actions