Ruys - Morel, August

Identity

Category

Person (Male)

Alternative name or descriptor

  • Photographie d'art (in Tournai, Rue de la Cordonnerie)

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Status

  • Professional

Details

Life dates

Sint-Niklaas, 1853 - ?, ?

Activity

1890 * - 1908 / Courtrai, Rue Notre-Dame, 31 then 25
Successor: Boehm Hermann & Cie
August Ruys ° 9.3.1853. At his wedding In Amiens [F] in 1883 to Marie-Louise Morel (° Amiens [F], 7.9.1863), he was recorded as a photographer. Operated in Dijon [F], Boulevard Carnot, 30 around 1885. Arrived from Sint-Niklaas on 22.9.1890. This Courtrai address was the parent studio from which Ruys - Morel expanded into multiple outlets. Branches in Dijon [F], Boulevard Carnot, 30, 1895 ca - 1900 and in Tourcoing [F], Rue de Tournai, 30 bis, 1903 ca - 1908. Had the intention of opening a branch in Liège in 1894, probably never realised. Photographs of historic façades to illustrate articles in "Bulletin van de Geschied- en Oudheidkundige Kring van Doornik", 1905-1906. Left for Bruges in June 1908.
1893 * - 1895 Anvers, Rue Leys, 2
Predecessor: Jacobs Jules & Cie Successor: Seipgens Herman
Branch opened in May 1893. "E. Ruys" in 1894 Rozez directory.
1895 * Verviers, Rue de Dison, 18-20
Successor: Heleven Louis
Branch opened in May 1895 and rapidly ceded to Louis Heleven.
1896 * - 1913 Tournai, Rue de la Cordonnerie, 13
Branch opened in May 1896. Exhibited at the "Cercle artistique de Tournai" in June 1896 and July 1897. Recorded the ceremonies marking the 75th anniversary of Belgian independence in 1905. President of the "Union professionnelle des photographes de Courtrai, de Tournai et environs", 1912-1913.
1904 - 1908 / Tournai, Rue des Clairisses, 4
Successor: Boehm Hermann & Cie
1908 * - 1913 Bruges, Rue Saint-Amand, 37
Opened on 16.11.1908. Thereafter in Zuidzandstraat, 25. Some mounts bear the double location Bruges and Tourcoing. Ruys - Morel left Bruges in early May 1919 for Tourcoing [F], Rue de Tournai, 30, address of one of his earlier branch studios and which may still have been active.

Locations

1890 * - 1908 / Courtrai, Rue Notre-Dame, 31 then 25
1893 * - 1895 Anvers, Rue Leys, 2
1895 * Verviers, Rue de Dison, 18-20
1896 * - 1913 Tournai, Rue de la Cordonnerie, 13
1904 - 1908 / Tournai, Rue des Clairisses, 4
1908 * - 1913 Bruges, Rue Saint-Amand, 37

Exhibitions

Tournai, 1897.

Genres / subject matter

Techniques

Bibliography/Webography

Context

Affiliations

Management

Record source

DIRECTORY_1997#3720

Identity of institution

FotoMuseum Provincie Antwerpen

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation/revision

SFJ revised 25.9.2017, 29.4.2018 & 16.11.2018 partly based on information supplied by Paul De Paepe and Filippe De Potter; SFJ revised 16.5.2020; SFJ revised 20.9.2020 & 12.11.2020 based on information supplied by M. Demaeght and merged with entry 1997#3719 "E. Ruys"

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

Actions