Straus, Gustave (Studio)



Person (Male)

Alternative name or descriptor

  • Maison Straus, Optician; Photographie Viennoise

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules


  • Professional / Connected


Life dates

Liège, 1838 - Menton [Alpes-Maritimes, F], 1911


1866 * - 1914 > Liège, Rue du Pont-d'Ile, 36<66-67>, 42<67-70>, 4<70-14>
° 30.3.1838; + 16.12.1911. Sometimes written Strauss. Second son of Joseph Straus. Photographic supplies. Opening of a "Maison d’Optique" announced in August 1866 (La Meuse, 27.8.1866) and already advertising cameras alongside mathematical, scientific and astronomical instruments in September 1866 (La Meuse, 3.9.1866). Moved to no. 42 about February 1867 and to no. 4 about June 1870. However, CVs exist at no. 4, probably already dating to 1869, ink-stamped "G. Straus, Manufacturing Optician ... artificial eyes fitted".
Portrait studio created at no. 4 and opening announced on 7.1.1871. It was let to a succession of photographers, beginning with Victor Barras (senior) until early June 1873, followed briefly by Oscar Yerna then Joseph Van Malderen (Fils) and thereafter by Louis Corbassière (see those names). Corbassière is recorded here from 1877 and probably operated as early as September 1875 and until his bankruptcy in late 1879, although Mme Gonthier - Cornand (see that name) issued a statement that she had been director of photography for several years at this address and at Boulevard d'Avroy "without the participation of Mr Louis Corbassière" (La Meuse, 10.1.1880). On CVs, mention of the same studio in Paris, Boulevard des Italiens, 15, entrance Rue de Grammont, 30, 1880 ca. This was Corbassière's studio after his return to Paris.
Later, 1882 ca, "Photographie Viennoise. Maison Straus", which coincided with the start of S. Goldstein's activities at this address from 14.10.1882 and through the 1880s and 1890s. Last listing of the studio "Maison Straus" in the 1901 directory. Straus then discontinued studio operations in his name perhaps to recuperate the space and in order to devote himself to the sale of equipment.
Straus' death certificate recorded him as an optician domiciled in Brussels. The firm continued to trade as "Maison G. Straus" in the interwar period at this address, under the ownership of Adolphe Golstein (° Veghel [NL], 17.4.1879; + Auschwitz [PL], 1944). Golstein was already recorded as an optician domiciled at this address on the occasion of his wedding in Brussels - Anderlecht on 28.10.1903. He was obviously a blood relative of the S. Golstein or Goldstein (see that name) previously associated with the firm. Adolphe Golstein fell victim to the law confiscating Jewish property during the German occupation. He was deported, together with his wife, to Auschwitz on 31.7.1944 where he perished.
1878 - 1879 / Liège, Boulevard d'Avroy, 12
Successor: Gonthier - Cornand Madame (in her own name)
Studio that may have been run by Louis Corbassière in a personal capacity and have no legal association with "Maison Straus". On CVs, "12 portrait-cards 3 francs. Same firm: Printing & Lithography". One CV dated January 1878. Corbassière's bankrupcy led to a forced sale of the studio's entire contents on 30.12.1879, including a Hermagis studio camera and 22 lithographic stones.
1875 - 1876 ca Liège, Rue Reynier, 17
Collotype printing works. "Maison Straus" initially marketed studio portraits printed in collotype at Rue du Pont-d'Ile from 20.9.1874 "and for several days afterwards, on an experimental basis" (La Meuse, 18.9.1874). Prices started at 3 francs for a dozen CVs. This initiative, unique in Belgium at this period, must have been a success since, sometime in the following year, the collotype printing works were transferred to premises at the above address, the residence of photographer and lithographer Louis Corbassière since March 1874 at the latest. Framed portraits could be purchased for 8 francs in half-plate size and 15 francs for a full plate. It is unclear when the studio ceased offering collotype portraits. Subsequent CVs, c. 1877, coinciding with Corbassière's continued occupation of the portrait studio in Rue du Pont-d'Ile, bear a joint backmark offering "printing and lithography" at Rue Reynier, 21 but without specifying the production of portraits in collotype.
1895 ca Liège, Rue Puits-en-Sock, 66
Successor: Smals Nicolas #


1866 * - 1914 > Liège, Rue du Pont-d'Ile, 36<66-67>, 42<67-70>, 4<70-14>
1878 - 1879 / Liège, Boulevard d'Avroy, 12
1875 - 1876 ca Liège, Rue Reynier, 17
1895 ca Liège, Rue Puits-en-Sock, 66


Genres / subject matter






Record source



Level of detail

Dates of creation/revision

SFJ revised 22.9.2017; SFJ revised 26.4.2020, 26.11.2020, 24.7.2023 & 31.7.2023 based on information supplied by M. Demaeght; SFJ revised 21.1.2024 based on information supplied by Frank Driesen; MD revised 20.4.2020, 20.4.2021 & 13.5.2024




Maintenance notes